Job Description – Support Worker
Oswald House is a Residential Care Home which provides services for adults with learning disabilities.
Position : Support Worker
Responsible to : The Manager
Oswald House aims to give support to parents / carers by the provision of services and to develop the potential of the residents by encouraging informed choice and enabling them to be as independent and socially active as possible. An important function will be to develop / maintain links with family, friends and the local community.
Summary of duties :
· Assist with personal requirements e.g. washing, dressing, toileting, changing, feeding etc.
· Assist with special requirements e.g. diets, physiotherapy, speech therapy.
· Undertake tasks that are normal in any home - care of linen, clothing, bed making, washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning duties etc.
· participate in assessment, prepare reports / reviews, develop individual care plans, activity programmes and maintain necessary records.
· Liaise with friends, relatives and professionals associated with the service user.
· Organise and participate in social activities, outings, entertainment and holidays.
· Assist in the purchase of personal requirements e.g. clothing, toiletries, etc.
· Assist in making arrangements for the safe custody of valuables and monies as necessary.
· Administer medication as directed.
· Attend Staff Meetings at regular intervals and participate in staff training sessions.
· Familiarise your self with all Health and Safety procedures, including fire precautions / evacuation and lifting techniques.
· Develop and promote public awareness of the needs of people with disabilities.
· Participate in the organisation of and attend fund raising events.
This is only a guide line, other duties may fall within this post that are deemed to be reasonable by the manager. The post holder must be aware of the confidential nature of the position and MUST at all times observe total confidentiality.
It is a condition of appointment that support workers be required to undertake Sleeping in Duties where appropriate.
Personal Specification - Support Worker.
· Have the physical ability to undertake the essential tasks of the job description.
· Have good communication skills.
· The ability to maintain records and write clear reports.
· Be able to work as part of a team.
· Be able to work in a flexible manner on a rota basis.
· Be able to work alone.
· Have organisational skills.
· Have a bright but responsible approach to work
· Have had a minimum of one year experience working with people who have a learning disability.
· Have relevant qualification in care e.g. NVQ level 2
· Hold a full clean driving licence.
· Have an understanding of the needs of carers.
· Basic First Aid Skills.